Crochet Snowflake Ios
What you’ll need
The silver snowflake is 9 cm (about 3,5 inches) in diameter. I made it with cotton thread size 10 and a 2 mm crochet hook. You can use heavier thread and bigger hook, or thinner thread and smaller hook and you will have a bigger or a smaller motif. You will also need a needle to weave in loose ends and a pair of scissors.
To stiffen the snowflakes you will need white pva glue, stainless steel pins (or toothpicks), plastic wrap and some kind of foam/blocking board.
Make a magic ring.
- Round 1: Ch 6 (counts as dc plus ch 3), (dc, ch 3) 5 times, pull the thread end to tighten the ring and join with sl st in 3rd ch of first ch6.
- Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc), (ch 2, dc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, dc in dc) 5 times, ch 2, dc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, join with sl st in 3rd ch of first ch5.
- Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc), * ch 2, in next dc work (dc, ch 3, dc), ch 2 **, dc in next dc; repeat from * 5 times and from * to ** once more, join with sl st in 3rd ch of first ch5.
- Round 4: Ch 1, sc in same stitch, * ch 3, dc in next dc, ch 1, in ch-3 sp work (dc, ch 3, dc), ch 1, dc in dc, ch 3 **, sc in next dc; repeat from * 5 times and from * to ** once more. Join with sl st in first sc.
- Round 5: Ch 1, * 2 sc in next ch-3 sp, hdc in same sp, 2 dc in ch-1 sp, dc in dc, in ch-3 sp work (2 tr, ch 3, 2 tr), dc in dc, 2 dc in ch-1 sp, hdc in ch-3 sp, 2 sc in same sp; repeat from * around, join with sl st in first sc.
Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
Print out this blocking template. It will help you make your snowflakes symmetrical. Tape it on your blocking board and then cover it with plastic wrap.
Prepare a mix of equal amounts of white craft glue and water, or use your preferred stiffening solution.
Soak the snowflake in the solution, squeeze out the excess and spread out the snowflake on the plastic wrap-covered pinning board, having right side facing up. Use stainless steel pins and start by pinning the center. Work your way out pinning as you go until you reach the desired look. While it is still wet, you can sprinkle glitter and make it sparkly. Let dry completely. Remove from the board.
To hang the snowflake, attach a piece of thread, yarn, ribbon, invisible thread or wire.
The stiffening solution will permanently damage your pins, so it’s best to set the used ones aside for use in future starching projects.