Crochet Pinwheel Motif is worked as a continuous spiral. The size can be increased or decreased as required.
The size also depends on the thread and hook you will choose to use. However, just to give you an idea of this motif’s size, with 6 strand embroidery floss and crochet hook size 2 mm it will measure 10 cm (about 4 inches) in diameter. You can use heavier thread and bigger hook, or thinner thread and smaller hook and you’ll have a bigger or smaller motif. You will also need a needle to weave in loose ends and a pair of scissors.
If you want to stiffen your motifs and use them as ornaments for the Christmas tree, you will need white pva glue or your favorite starch, stainless steel pins or toothpicks, plastic wrap and some kind of foam/blocking board.
Make a magic ring.
- Round 1: Ch 1, 6 sc in the ring, pull the thread end to tighten the ring, join with sl st in first sc.
- Round 2: Ch 1, sc in same stitch, ch 3, (sc in next sc, ch 3) 5 times.
- Round 3: (Sc in next sc, sc in ch-3 sp, ch 3) 6 times.
- Round 4: (Sc in 2nd sc, 2 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 3) 6 times.
- Round 5: (Sc in 2nd sc, sc in 3rd sc, 2 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 4) 6 times.
- Round 6: (Sc in 2nd, 3rd and 4th sc, 2 sc in ch-4 sp, ch 4) 6 times.
- Round 7: (Sc in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th sc, 2 sc in ch-4 sp, ch 5) 6 times.
- Round 8: (Sc in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th sc, 2 sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5) 6 times.
- Round 9: (Sc in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th sc, 2 sc in ch-5 sp, ch 6) 6 times.
- Round 10: (Sc in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th sc, 2 sc in ch-6 sp, ch 6) 6 times.
- Round 11: (Sc in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th sc, 2 sc in ch-6 sp, ch 7) 6 times, join with sl st in 2nd sc.
Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
You will need white pva glue or your favorite starch, stainless steel pins or toothpicks, plastic wrap and some kind of foam/blocking board.
Print out this blocking template. It will help you make this motif symmetrical. Tape it on your blocking board and then cover it with plastic wrap.
Prepare a mix of equal amounts of white craft glue and water or use your preferred stiffening solution.
Soak the motif in the solution, squeeze out the excess and spread out the motif on the plastic wrap-covered pinning board, having right side facing up. Use stainless steel pins and start by pinning the center. Work your way out pinning as you go until you reach the desired look. While it is still wet, you can sprinkle glitter and make it sparkly. Let dry completely. Remove from the board.
To hang the motif, attach a piece of thread, yarn, ribbon, invisible thread or wire.
The stiffening solution will permanently damage your pins, so it’s best to set the used ones aside for use in future starching projects.