Denim and Felt love Cushion
Make a bunch of these cute heart cushions and give them as gifts, decorate your bedroom, hang them on the wall or on your christmas tree.
Have fun creating!
What you’ll need
- Denim fabric
- Acrylic felt
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery floss
- Scissors (you’ll need fabric scissors, as well as a pair of embroidery scissors with fine tips to cut the felt around the letters)
- Sewing machine
- Stuffing material (polyester toy filling)
- Tracing paper (or baking paper)
- Marker (to trace the template)
How to make the heart cushion
- Download the free template , decide how big you want your heart, resize as you like and print out.
Cut a square piece, bigger than the heart, from the denim fabric. Cut a piece from the red felt, bigger than the “love” letters.
- Position the red felt piece where you want your letters to be and machine baste felt and denim fabric.
- Secure a piece of tracing or baking paper on your printout and trace the letters.
- Tape your tracing on the red felt.
- Set the sewing machine to straight stitch and adjust the length to rather short. Sew the letters. I recommend that you start sewing from the center out, so you can avoid any letter distortion.
- Carefully remove the paper.
- Undo basting. Use your fine tip embroidery scissors and cut around each letter creating a border.
- Secure a piece of tracing or baking paper on your printout and trace the heart.
Pin baste or staple the tracing paper and the fabric.
- Cut the heart with the letters and one more from the denim fabric.
- Pin baste the hearts, wrong sides together. Sew around the edge using blanket stitch, but not all the way. Leave an opening for stuffing.
- Stuff to desired plumpness and stitch up the opening.
- Your heart cushion is ready.
- You can use matching or contrasting thread colors.
The hearts in the small photos are also made with the same technique.
Tips and decoration ideas
- If you like this technique, take a look at Felt Swirls on Denim Heart Cushion.
- The blanket stitch is the decorative stitch often used to sew felt pieces together. It secures and gives a very nice look.