Christmas is just around the corner and crocheting decorations for your home decor and Christmas tree is a great way to get into the festive spirit. This easy and beautiful medallion pattern is very different from the usual snowflake motif patterns.
The size depends on the thread and the hook you’ll choose to use. However, just to give you an idea of this motif’s size, with cotton thread size 10 and a 2 mm crochet hook it will be 7,5 cm (3 inches) in diameter. You can use heavier thread and bigger hook, or thinner thread and smaller hook and you’ll have a bigger or smaller motif.
You will also need a needle to weave in loose ends and a pair of scissors.
If you want to stiffen the medallion, you will need white pva glue or your favorite starch, stainless steel pins or toothpicks, plastic wrap and some kind of foam/blocking board.
Make a magic ring.
- Round 1: Ch 1, 10 sc in the ring, pull the thread end to tighten the ring. Join with sl st in first sc.
- Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc), (ch 3, dc in next sc) 9 times, ch 3 and join with sl st in 3rd ch of first ch3.
- Round 3: Sl st in next ch-3 sp, ch 1, in each ch-3 sp around work (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc). Join with sl st in first sc.
- Round 4: Sl st in sc, sl st in ch-2 sp, (ch 7, sl st in next ch-2 sp) around.
- Round 5: Sl st in ch-7 sp, ch 1, (4 sc in ch-7 sp, ch 5 and sl st in 5th ch from hook to create picot, 4 sc in same ch-7 sp) around. Join with sl st in first sc.
Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
You will need white pva glue or your favorite starch, stainless steel pins or toothpicks, plastic wrap and some kind of foam/blocking board.
Print out this blocking template. It will help you make this motif symmetrical. Tape it on your blocking board and then cover it with plastic wrap.
Prepare a mix of equal amounts of white craft glue and water or use your preferred stiffening solution.
Soak the medallion in the solution, squeeze out the excess and spread out the motif on the plastic wrap-covered pinning board, having right side facing up. Use stainless steel pins and start by pinning the center. Work your way out pinning as you go until you reach the desired look. While it is still wet, you can sprinkle glitter and make it sparkly. Let dry completely. Remove from the board.
To hang the medallion, attach a piece of thread, yarn, ribbon, invisible thread or wire.
The stiffening solution will permanently damage your pins, so it’s best to set the used ones aside for use in future starching projects.
In the tutorial Crochet Winter Sun, you’ll find one more motif with ten points.